Thursday 5 January 2012

Rule Over Your Spirit · t h u r s d a y

Rule Over Your Spirit · t h u r s d a y , j a n u a r y 5th · Page Visits (1,949)

Pastor Chris

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control (Proverbs 25:28 NIV).
Pastor Chris Someone once asked me "Pastor Chris, how do I get over my addictions? I have tried speaking to them but I am still tempted to do the same things. What should I do?" First, you’re not supposed to be speaking to your addictions, but to yourself. You can talk to your addictions all year long, but nothing will change. Secondly, you have to add some other qualities to your faith; such as temperance; this will help you gain the mastery over any addiction.
What anyone who’s struggling with addiction needs is to exercise rule over his spirit. You declare to yourself "I have self-control and I am going to put it to work; I have rule over my spirit." When you make such declarations, it will pilot you and help you bring your thoughts, will, emotions and physical senses into subjection to the Word of God. The word translated ‘rule’ in Hebrew is ‘matsar’ and is akin to the Greek word "Egkrateia" which means temperance or self-control. It’s restraint exercised over one’s own impulses, emotions or desires. It means to hold oneself in.
2 Peter 1:5-6 says "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance…." God wants you to have rule over your spirit, that’s why He put these beautiful qualities in your spirit to make you fruitful always.
The Apostle Paul in Galatians 5:22-23 lists temperance as a feature of your recreated human spirit: "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." No Christian should say "Well, I can’t control my desires" or "I have no rule over my spirit." What you need do is to let your spirit gain the mastery. Through the agency of the Word of God and the influence of God’s Spirit, your spirit is regulated to gain the mastery over your mind, body and emotions.
Prayer
Dear Father, I declare that I am not under servitude to any attitude, habit, addiction or lifestyle that is inconsistent with your perfect will for me. I allow your Word to have full control over my spirit, soul and body; I have the ability to make the right judgments and choices in Jesus’ Name. Amen. f u r t h e r s t u d y2 Peter 1:5-9; Proverbs 16:32

No comments:

Post a Comment